Wednesday 19 February 2020

Hope, Not What I Thought it Meant

Hands, Open, Candle, Candlelight, Prayer, Pray, Give
Source: https://pixabay.com/photos/hands-open-candle-candlelight-1926414/

I used to hope that my sister would miraculously survive. Now I know that that is not what I should be hoping for. Now I hope that Abby will help our family become spiritually stronger. 


I did a short study on the word "hope".

In 2 Nephi 31:20 it says:
"...press forward, having a perfect brightness of hope..."

That scripture teaches me that if you lose everything, you can still have hope, and if you have hope, you have faith, and if you have faith,  you have God,  if you have God, you have everything you need.

Hope can also be defined as "a feeling of expectation and desire for something certain to happen."

I used a search engine that shows the origin of certain words. I looked up "hope" and this is what I found:
"Some suggest a connection with hop....on the notion of 'leaping in expectation' [Klein]."
"Late old English hopa 'confidence in the future,' especially 'God or Christ as a basis for hope,'..." 
There is also "Old Frisian and Middle Dutch hope, Danish haab, [and] Dutch hoop"


I also realized that "hope" sounded like "hoop" since the formal is eternal and can never be taken from you.

I also like the explanation hop for "leaping in expectation" listed above.

Words that are similar to hope are faith and trust (but not pixiedust!).


Here is a quote that I found:
The people of the Earth Kingdom are proud and strong. They can endure anything, as long as they have hope.
-Prince Zuko; Avatar, The Last Airbender 

Now I see that I was hoping for the wrong thing. I now know what the true meaning is. I know that Abigail and I will see each other again. I hope that she helps my family to be worthy enough for the Savior's return.

1 comment:

  1. Tears of joy, love and hope for all the good things God has in store for you!

    ReplyDelete