Thursday 25 June 2020

Upheld by My Righteous, Omnipotent Hand

I wrote this at the stroke of midnight last evening:

A verse popped into my head today. That happens quite often; music is my balm. Today it was from a hymn written by a regular person but in the first person voice of God. It strikes me every time we sing this in church that we are singing as if we are God speaking to us. Because it's church, we usually only get through three or four verses due to time constraints. But verse 7 has always been my favorite and that's the verse that went through my head and into my heart today:

How Firm a Foundation

Verse 7:
The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose
 I will not, I cannot, desert to his foes;
 That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,
 I’ll never, no never, I’ll never, no never,
 I’ll never, no never, no never forsake!
 
 (Text: Attr. to Robert Keen, ca. 1787. Included in the first LDS hymnbook, 1835.
 Music: Attr. to J. Ellis, ca. 1889)

Maybe it is the number of times the promise is repeated that He will not forsake those who trust Him, but the power of this verse stays with me because it reminds me that God's promises are sure. Sure. Certain. All earthly promises are only a shadow and mimic of His promises. Though the heavens and the earth pass away, His word will not pass away but will all be fulfilled.

I'll end this with Verse 3, which is much more often sung in church and also bears the promise of aid and deliverance:

Verse 3:
Fear not, I am with thee; oh, be not dismayed,
 For I am thy God and will still give thee aid.
 I’ll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
 Upheld by my righteous, upheld by my righteous,
 Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand.

I am in His hand.
And so are you.

No comments:

Post a Comment