Monday 23 December 2019

That Unsettling Feeling

Children, Siblings, Brother, Sister, Love, Child

I love my sister. She may not be here physically, but she is always will me spiritually and I pray for her and I think about her everyday. I have been wanting a sister for a long time. My prayers are being answered, just not in the way that I expected or even wanted to expect. I know that my sister isn't going to have a perfect physical body but I know that she is going to have a flawless and whole body in heaven and that she will be waiting there for us. And I know that her spiritual body is and will be very beautiful. Here is my version of the story:

Today I was very excited. I was going to BYU with my family! We were going to eat chocolate-covered cinnamon bears and visit the bookstore. I hopped into the car with my family and we drove to the campus. After that, we were going to get an ultrasound for mom. Me and my siblings were really hoping for a little sister. 

Mom had some classes she had to go to. We waved to her goodbye and she went on her way. You can't forget the walk all the way to the building. Dad, my brothers, and I did all kinds of things like rolling down the huge slope and getting some snacks (remember the chocolate-covered cinnamon bears?). We went to the bookstore and to the art gallery.

It took a while but we finally got together with mom again. We drove to the place where we would get the ultrasound. When we got word that we were having a sister I was very excited. Though, I didn't feel the same excitement that I did for the last baby.

Something didn't feel right.

Sure enough, there was something that the ultrasound guy didn't recognise. He told my parents to get another ultrasound from someone with more experience. I looked at one of Abby's pics and saw that there was something probably blocking her face. Or was that just my imagination? 




I tried not to be too worried and told myself that it was going to be okay. I just hoped that my mom and the baby was going to be okay. 

Later, I got news that Abby had a syndrome. My mom said that it was anencephaly. Anencephaly. Anecepyhaly. That sounded familiar. It was in my mom's Neurobiology book! I was not expecting this! My sister had a syndrome that my mom was studying in Neurobiology! 

Brain, Anatomy, Human, Science, Health, Medical, Organ

I was sad as I tried to hammer the reality into my head. I was finally getting a sister and she was going to be deformed! I knew that I was going to find peace eventually. I knew that God was willing to help me in my sorrows. And most importantly, I knew that Abigail and I would be together for all eternity.

2 comments:

  1. That's amazing that your mother was studying the condition before you were told about it. She always thought she was studying neuroscience for her family. That was even more true then she understood! Thank you so much for writing this blog. I'm so grateful that you wrote your feelings and thoughts down here when they were new and real and fresh. I am amazed,too, at your faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your experience Sam. ❤️

    ReplyDelete