Tuesday 17 March 2020

Miracles and Messages: A Butterfly From Abigail


Look at this sweet butterfly I found in the memorial garden we are making for Abigail! It was covered in soil but is quite beautiful after being cleaned off.

While picking up a refrigerator part in Nephi with Bill at the local hardware store, I also bought several packets of flower seeds to add to Abigail's garden.


Right away when we got home, I started planting. I don't know which of these are really supposed to be planted in early spring, but I am impatient to get flowers going in Abigail's garden. I thought I needed to have a little gardening fork, so I walked around the side of the house, thinking about the gardening fork. I laughed when the one that matched the image in my mind materialized on the ground in front of me as a plastic children's toy. That'll work, I thought. I picked up the plastic gardening fork and clawed at the moist soil, so enriched by the winter snows and recent rains. The topsoil came loose easily, and I planted the seeds in various places around the garden. As I prepared to deposit the chamomile seeds beside our Angel Face rose bush, the gardening fork caught on something. At first it was just a clump of metal covered in soil, so I didn't realize how special it was until it flipped over and I saw its shape. It was a butterfly. How sweet is this?

After my post about trying to find a new normal and being like a new butterfly, it seemed especially special. I put it with my special amaryllis that bloomed so beautifully while we were waiting for Abigail to make her appearance on earth, so it's there in my window sill.

I can't wait to see which flowers come up in our special Abigail garden!

Last week we received the photo CD and 4x6 prints of the pictures Common Bonds took for us on the day Abigail passed. There are so many heart-rending photos of her sweet feet adorned with our wedding rings or of Bill holding me up as I stood for the first time after a day and night in the ICU. Some of them are too personal to share. 

But there are also family photos that I had been waiting on. I cannot wait to hang the one with all eight of us together. It is going on a prominent wall in the living room which will be filled with family pictures. Right now there are only paintings. This is the one we decided to blow up on canvas.


And we ordered a smaller one of this one, with just Bill, me, and Abigail.


Costco is having a 20% off deal for canvas prints right now, so that's a sweet deal. I wish we could print all of the pictures on canvas because there are so many beautiful ones. This one of me with my only daughter is very special to my heart.


We are just so blessed to have these photos to remember this precious part of our eternal family. Finding that butterfly today made me feel connected to her, like she is aware of our efforts to remember her and keep her in our hearts. I know as we stay open to these messages and miracles, we will continue to feel this connection with her throughout our lives until we get to rejoin her with God.



No comments:

Post a Comment